Re: [opensuse] Installing Virtual Box on 11.2
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 15:59:33 -0500
On 12/30/2009 11:40 PM, Basil Chupin pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On 30/12/09 23:55, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 12/29/2009 11:52 PM, Basil Chupin pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

On 30/12/09 04:19, Michael Roberts wrote:

<snip>

At this point I'll take the opportunity to thank everyone for providing
me with most useful advice on how to go about getting VB up and running.

I am glad to read that you are reviewing the wiki pages re VB. May I
suggest that you take into account Clayton's, Ken Schneider's comment
about using *full* name of the VB RPM from SUN, and also the
instructions given by David Rankin in his post in this ML dated 8 Feb
2008 titled, "A Quick Start - VirtualBox Howto".

One of my personal peeves about VB and around which I cannot wrap my
brain is the ability to access from oS the files sitting in any of the
partitions created in the Windows virtual disc (.VirtualBox) by apps.
installed in VB. If that could be made more understandable then this
would be great.

Right now, I have VB installed as well as XP. However, I still haven't
got something correct because I am not able to have XP display in the
full resolution (1920x1080) of my monitor - and which I was able to do,
if I recall correctly, a few years ago.

BC

You need to read the help provided by VB, it is excellent.

I will give you a hint: tools
go through the pull downs of the running VM

I think the 'instructions' state to restart VB after installing
Additions.iso but this did not give me the full screen.

However, on booting up the system this morning I *did* have my 1920x1080
screen in VB which, I guess, means that restarting/rebooting oS is what
needs to be done to have the new parameters kick-in.

All seems to be well at this point in time -- but I am *not* looking
forward to installing all the bits and pieces to give me additional
desktops, hide the task bar, disc defragmenter, security s/ware..... :-(

A question, Ken, if you know the answer which would save me finding out
the hard way....

I have a Canon scanner which is not supported by Linux - but, of course,
XP does.

In the latest version of VB is the USB support still totally reliant on
openSUSE or can this version now access USB devices if the driver is
installed in XP under VB?

BC

Sorry for the late reply, been away on a camping trip over the holiday
weekend.

I have not had any problem with any USB device as VB grabs the device
from the host OS and passes it on to the guest OS. Best thing to do is
just try it. Pass that I can't help much as I don't have any Canon
devices here.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998