Re: [opensuse] USB times out cant see what's on drives
  • From: ka1ifq <ka1ifq@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:02:39 -0500
"On 11:51:29 am Richard Atcheson <ratcheson@xxxxxxxxx> said"
I'm using Opensuse 11.2 with the latest updates. Linux
2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop x86_64 kernel on a Dell Inspiron 1545 and
have all the KDE4 eye candy turned off.

When I insert a USB drive, either flash or hard drive, I get a
window eventually asking me to choose what to do. I open the
drive in file manager, click on a folder and 6 seconds after the
contents are displayed the folder goes blank. Neither Dolphin
nor Konqueror can see the drives without replugging. Same
failure every time. My Computer indicates the drives are
attached as /dev/sdc1 but cannot view contents.

Do you have any other usb devices plugged in at the time?
I have a Dell C521 and it worked fine on Win but when I loaded linux it got
very flakey on the usb even with just the kb and mouse,I had to go to a
powered hub to eliminate the problem. You may want to try it and see if it
helps, never found a good reason for this and it would not be a good solution
for a laptop.
Mike
--
2.6.27.39-0.2-default GNU/Linux