Re: [opensuse] Installing and using an NFS client
  • From: ianseeks <ianseeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 08:49:36 +0000
On Saturday 02 Jan 2010 17:37:41 Stan Goodman wrote:
I want to provide filesharing between two oS machines. I have followed the
directions of the page <http://en.opensuse.org/NFS> to install the server
on a desktop machine (which is oS v11.1 for the time being, and wish to
made a client on a laptop (oS v11.2). The directions on the page are
simple enough; when I get a client up I will find out if they worked (the
page, which is headed "NFS", never touches the subject of clients).

Neither do other such pages that I have found. In v 11.1, YaST admits to
having a package called yast2-nfs-client, but I don't see this in v11.2
YaST. If I did, I wouldn't know how to load it.

It also has a package nfs-client-debuginfo, described as "Debug
information for package nfs-clent. But there is no package nfs-info in
the list.

Catch-22?

If you come from a MS environment, you'll find Yast does not provide the most
intuitive way of setting up a share, if you know what you are doing its okay
but you could spend a lot of time getting a share working if you don't. It
would be nice to have a menu item in dolphin that says "Create/Map share" or
something with useful GUIs to assist along the way.

I hope i get this bit correct, i hope someone will correct it if i don't.

Launch Yast on the target machine and select the NFS server option. This
option always tells you to start the NFS server (it doesn't seem to know if
its already running) then select a folder to share, be aware that the default
options share the folder as "read only" so if you want to write to it, change
the "ro" to "rw". Also make sure the user permissions on the folder selected
will be usable to the client user permissions otherwise you'll get errors
trying to copy.
On the client machine, make sure you have an empty folder to use as a mount
point for the share. Launch Yast and select the NFS client option. On the "NFS
Shares" page, click <Add> button and then <Choose> button - this will search
the network for NFS servers on the network, once you've chosen your server you
can then press <select> to see the available shares. Then select your mount
point, press <ok> and you should be "shared".

Have fun.

regards

Ian