Re: [opensuse] dd - rsync question
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 21:33:05 -0500
On 2010/01/02 20:47 (GMT-0500) Bob S composed:

Brian K. White wrote:

Bob S wrote:

I did a dd backup on my 11.2. Question is can I update it with rsync, or
more important could I restore certain files/directories using rsync?

_what_ did you backup with dd? a filesystem? or a partition or whole
drive that might have more than one filesystem?

Thanks for your reply. I backed up one filesystem, oS 11.2 consisting of four
partitions.

To me the primary meaning of filesystem, absent an immediate modifier, is
what results from executing a format or mkfs command, which, in the absence
of LVM and/or RAID, applies to one single HD partition. IOW, "root
filesystem" and "filesystem" do not necessarily mean the same thing. A root
filesystem can contain much more than mounted HD partitions, including
ramdisks, unpartitioned media, remote shares, and a whole bunch of strange
objects in /dev. I would likely never consider using dd to "backup" /, which
is what your response to Brian seems to say is what you did.
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/