[opensuse] Problem with KDE switching users with an ATI Sapphire 4670 Graphics card
  • From: Franz Gotsis <Franz.Gotsis@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 00:46:54 +0100
Hello all,

I do have a problem switching users

My configuration is:
Asus Mainboard P5D Deluxe
4GB A-Data 1066 MHZ but running on 800 MHz
An ATI Sapphire HD 4670
and a Hitachi 750GB harddrive.

Running Opensuse Linux 11.2 on 64 Bit.

The trouble shows when I am trying to switch users:
It just won't work:

I can create new Sessions and virtual terminals, but I cannot switch to
them. When I try to do so,
I get an entry into the logfile /var/log/Xorg.0.log
which reads

(II) fglrx(0): Restoring Recent Mode via PCS is not supported in RANDR
1.2 capable environments

and in logfile /var/log/Xorg.1.log
I find an entry

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: VT_WAITACTIVE failed: Interrupted System call.

The file
$HOME/.kde4/share/apps/RecentDocument/ati-driver-installer-9-12-x86.x86_64.run.desktop
seems to contain a hint as to the version of the driver 9.12 for 64bit.

I am able to program a little bit, but I would need a hint where to look
at, to cut down my time of debugging this situation. It should be a
problem witht he graphics card driver, as this routine works very well
with other cards and other computers I have.

I would be glad for any hint where to look at or who to ask.

kind regards

Franz Gotsis