Re: [opensuse] What I had to do to get wireless communication
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 13:32:17 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2010-01-01 at 14:16 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:

At 13:45:51 on Friday Friday 01 January 2010, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

If someone can explain what made the difference, I will stop
believing in poltergeists.

Did you power off? I'll made a wild guess. Or two. :-)

It was powered off any number of times.

Windows loaded a firmware to the card. When you reboot without powering
off, it is still there and linux works.

That has since occurred to me, in spite of which it may be the right
answer. I know that some (all?) similar cards require firmware
installation, but as far as I could learn or guess, the fact that the
driver is in the kernel by default implied that the rpm would deal with
that too, and I would not have to do so explicitly. If Windows does
install the firmware along with the driver, it's fair to ask why Linux
doesn't as well. I still do not see a place in oS at which I should or
could have installed firmware by myself.

I have no direct experience with wireless cards, but I suffered something similar with a haupage tv card that also requires a firmware upload every time. Yes, the driver was there, but not the firmware, which was on a different rpm. I had to hunt for it outside of the distro, something was propietary or some similar crap. Details are vague in my memory, but it should be in the list archive, if you are interested. In the end, I had to remove the card, and buy a real tv set, 2nd hand, that is hanging from the wall behind my computer, connected to a terrestrial digital tv tunner with usb hard disk running linux 2.4.something.

Or, windows changed a setting or something in the card that makes it
works. It works in linux then because the setting holds.

Lets see whats happens after a hard reset or power-off >:-)

The Windows experiment took place in Haifa; I live 20km away. Setting the
router up at home meant it had already survived a power down/up cycle. It
has already lived through another all last night.

Ah, then, that is good :-)

Cheers,

Hoping that all here have had their Sylvester "cheers", and recovered from
the resulting hangover, A Healthy, Happy, Prosperous, and Peaceful 2010
to all.

Thanks, same to you :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.