[opensuse] Tweaking of e16 desktop nearing completion - way cool desktop
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 01:12:14 -0500
Listmates,

As I have mentioned before, I have been working with both e16 and e17
desktops (both stable, excellent desktops that work well as a primary, but
more importantly as a remote via vnc or nx). There are quite a few hidden
features in e16 like the ability to add Init, Start and Stop directories of
applications to run on X-init, enlightenment Start and Stop that you can use
to autostart or autokill apps. There is plenty of keyboard and mouse binding
flexibility and what seems like an endless number of good desktop themes. (2
favorites for e16: Ganymede & DarkOne)

The initial setup does a good job of creating menus of all apps. It
separates
the apps into Gnome/KDE/Other main folders. The menu scheme is done in simple
text files that makes customizing menus a simple matter.

Just thought I would post a couple of screenshots of the tools
available and
of the desktop for any who may be interested. I have 2 desktops with my
desktop "areas" laid out in a 4x1 grid. So the result of having two desktops
makes 8 desktop areas (that you would normally just call desktops). The config
is (desktop 1 on top, dt2 on the bottom):

1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4

The first screenshot show the top desktop with all tools hidden (you
can see
the titlebars for the tools top-right and bottom left:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/ss/e/e16/e-16-killer-setup-epps-
in-1024.jpg

The second shot shows the bottom desktop with all tools extended (they
just
hide/unhide using the title bar and middle-mouse wheel)

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/ss/e/e16/e-16-killer-setup-1024.jpg

Also since you have upper and lower desktops, you can do some neat
stuff with
the background just be rotating the image 180 degrees (if it is direction).
I'm not completely done tweaking the internals, but the looks of the desktop
and the tools I will use are pretty much done.

Give it either e16 or e17 a try. Small install and easy setup. There
are
several build service repos, but the follow repo contains everything in one
place:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Enlightenment/openSUSE_11.0/

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.