Re: [opensuse] ntp and wireless
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:24:07 +0100
On Wednesday 28 October 2009 21:00:29 Marc Chamberlin wrote:
Will - I think you are missing the point of this thread. Even if the
NetworkManager does start up the connections before login, the problem
is that it does NOT start them up early enough in the boot up process.
An early startup of the network connections is needed so that other
services which are also starting up, during boot, and dependent on
having the network connections up and running, can also start. NTP is
just one of several daemons that need access to the network, and if it
is not available then it fails to start up.

So far as I know, ifup is the only method that works for these
scenarios. So IMHO the crock is still quite dirty!

I see your point, but in theory dispatcher.d scripts should hup or restart
these services after NM brings up the network (since the /etc/init.d/network
script does not wait for NM to complete this, unlike when it is in ifup mode).

Also in theory (mine at least) you shouldn't really be using static network
mounts or running servers on NetworkManager machines as I doubt that those
dispatcher.d scripts, or the services they start/stop, get enough testing to
be robust enough in the face of all the dynamism that NetworkManager
introduces. Consider a slow-starting server that might not be finished
starting in the time between NM bringing a network connection up, and bringing
it down again or changing the default route because another network connection
it prefers comes up. I'd be sticking to 'desktoppy' network services (SMB
ioslaves/GIO) that have more chance of being adapted to NM's signals.

Anyway, I'm just the NM client developer here, not its maintainer. I may be
wrong.

Will