Re: [opensuse] ntp and wireless
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:45:26 -0400
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Wednesday, 2009-10-28 at 15:02 -0400, James Knott wrote:

I just checked the ntpd log and it shows it's setting the time
correctly. The last sync was about 2h 28 m ago. This is on the
notebook running OpenSUSE 11.0 and connecting via WiFi and using
NetworkManager. No problem here.

Also, looking back through the log, I can see times when it couldn't
find the ntp server and used the local clock instead. Later it again
shows using the configured ntp server.

That's what it should do. However, if there is a big initial time
difference, it will abort. If you start the ntp service after the
network is up, first it will jump-adjust the time, then it starts the
daemon to keep it.

One ntpd option is "-g" which will allow it to ignore a big time
difference. According to ps aux, that is enabled, so that big error
shouldn't be a problem, at least once.

A possibility to fix this would be to have a script started a few
minutes after boot, to ensure ntpd is running. There are a couple of
ways that could be done.