Re: [opensuse] Router Discovery [Was: Practicalities of IPv6 - no default gateway needed?]
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:20:01 +0100
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 17:33 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 15:02 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Doing my first baby steps with IPv6, I've just now come across the
issue of the default gateway. It's easy enough to set up manually
or with YaST, but apparently it's no longer necessary due to
the "Neighbor Discovery Protocol":"Router Solicitation"?
If you get an ipv6 address from your ISP it might not be needed.
Yes, I have an IPv6 network that was allocated by my ISP. I set up a
default route like this: "ip -6 add default dev ppp0" - it looks
like I would otherwise have to get the box to issue an
ICMPV6:Router_Solicitation, but how do I do that?

You could run your own radvd (Router ADVertisement Disovery daemon).
radvd is pretty simple.

Just in case anyone is following this - my router is now running radvd,
and it seems to be working quite well.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.4°C)