Re: [opensuse] ntp and wireless
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:19:38 -0500
On Wednesday 28 October 2009 10:10:34 am Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
I have a laptop that uses wireless controlled by Network Manager. (11.2
RC1 - and it seems to be working again!)

If I want to keep time in sync with ntp, it seems that the network must
be up when booting. Which is not the case with Network Manager. How does
one get ntp working when using Network Manager. I suspect there are
other network services that do not function. But I am interested
specifically in ntp.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

There are 2 problem with the current SuSE wireless setup. (1) starting ntp
before the wireless link is up, and (2) shutting down the wireless link before
the unmount of smbfs. As you point out, since ntp is started (and fails)
before your wireless link is activated by network manager, ntp is dead for
most laptop configurations. The workaround in to restart ntp after your
wireless link comes up with 'rcntp restart' (as root or sudo).

The smbfs unmount issue causes shutdown and reboots to hang if you have smb
shares mounted due to the wireless connection being shut down before the
shares are unmounted leaving no way to unmount the smb shares -- and prompting
a 180 or 300 second timeout period before your box will shut down. (I haven't
timed it exactly, but I know it is long...)

I think both are probably the result of network manager (1) starting the
wireless link later (when kde is started), and (2) shutting down the wireless
link earlier (I don't know when this occurs exactly) in the current setup
where wireless is handled by network manager.

Two work-arounds. (1) Use traditional ifup for networking instead of network
manager (good choice unless you use a lot of different APs), or (2) remember
to restart ntp and unmount smb drives before you logout/shutdown.

That's what I have found by trial and error.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC