RE: [opensuse] How do I prevent an interface getting an IPv6-address on boot-up?
  • From: Philip Dowie <philip.dowie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:14:16 +1300
but I still
get an IPv6 address assigned. I don't know if this causes a problem
for pppoe, but there must be a way of getting rid of it?

Yast Control Centre -> Network Devices -> Network Settings -> Global
Options, uncheck "Enable IPv6", reboot.

Of course this assumes that you don't want to use IPv6 at all.

Well, I _do_ want to use IPv6. :-(

Part of the magic of IPv6 is it seems to try to do away with all the magical
broadcast-using-0.0.0.0 stuff (think DHCP).
You get a ULA one wot starts fe80, and use that locally. Then, you can get a
global address too. IPv6 was built with multiple addresses per interface in
mind.
So, I'd say part of using IPv6 is having that funky address hanging around.

Phil