Re: [opensuse] The KDE4 bugzilla Nonsense hits All-Time high.
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:38:51 +0100
On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 16:12 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Too bad so many of my systems are in the 1% category. It is not only age
of keyboard, but style that also effects this. We very often use smaller
keyboards in our measurement systems. One way they keep the keyboards
small is by not having 'optional' keys.

Although I am in favour of the shortcuts proposed in the bug, I hope
that you participate in the thread, Roger. I see KDE 4 ignoring
"1%ers" in a lot of decisions. In fact, I would say that half of KDE
users fall into one 1%er category or another, so these issues do pile
up.

Out of interest, do the systems without a Tux key run composting window
effects?

Very possibly. They tend to have decent NVIDIA cards. To be honest, we
are more interested in the non-eye-candy effects of composting, such as
better font handling and texture effects (some of the real reasons for
the composting). Not so much cubes or snow. I am not sure how that has
progressed. But I think it is one reason for the whole thing - better
use of the graphics card so as to move many things usually done in
software to be done in the graphics hardware instead.

So, the hot key issue is a small thing to us. I mainly wanted to point
out that the presence/absence of something is not always because of the
age of the components. There are many power desktop users that have
specific, if not obvious, requirements.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST