Re: [opensuse] Yast2 partitioner new features
  • From: Sinisa <sinisa@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:52:49 +0100
On 10/27/09 11:42, Per Jessen wrote:
Sinisa wrote:

On 10/27/09 11:09, Per Jessen wrote:
Sinisa wrote:

Hello everyone,

is this the right place to suggest two little features for Yast2
partitioner:

1. an option to clone partition layout from one disk to other: I
often make little servers with 4, 6 or even 10 disks and Linux RAID,
so I need to repeat all the steps for all of the disks (of course, I
do not use the a whole disk for one md partition, but at least for
two, plus swap) and that consumes a lot of time and is
error-prone...
Until it is implemented, just swap out into a shell, and copy the mbr
from disk to disk with dd.

/Per

Actually, better way would be "sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk /dev/sdb",
it calls ioctl to re-read partition tables when done, but there is a
little problem: there is no option (in 11.1) to commit changes to disk
during patitioning, so I first run "fdisk" on first disk, then "sfdisk
..." for all the others, and then "Rescan disks" from partitioner.

And I am always looking for a way to make it easier for "average Joe"
:)
Hi Siniša

you're right, sfdisk would be better. One comment - installing on a
system with that many disks is not really something "average Joe" does
a lot :-)

/Per

Agree, but with current disk prices, it will become more and more common to have at least raid1 (or raid 10 on two disks, something that seems to be specific to Linux, but has significant speed increase on reads over raid1)

BTW, what about my second question, about beeing able to specify layout for radi10?

Siniša