Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:43:04 +0100
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 08:48 -0400, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
Per Jessen pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Hans Witvliet wrote:
I friend of mine just bought a simple brother-printer, which
support IPv6. Not the first piece of equipment on my shortlist of
stuff i would want to support it, but they do, out of the box.
And as said: bsd, linux, slowaris, ios, hp-ux, xp, vista, they all
support it.
Operating systems. I took a quick look around to spot what I've
got that is IPv4-only:
Kyocera printers.

We have the same issue with ~30 HP 4200n printers. Clients talk to
the CUPs printer server via IPv6. CUPs talks to the printer using
IPv6 if there is an IPv6 DNS entry, otherwise it uses the IPv4 entry.

So your print-server has both IPv4 and IPv6, right?

Cisco SPA9XX phones
MySQL
Asterisk

So you have a couple of legacy services that won't do IPv6, let them
continue to use IPv4.

I wouldn't exactly call them legacy, they're mission critical, but yes,
there's no other option but to leave them on IPv4.

If you publish an IPv6 DNS record clients will
use that [at least for Windows Vista and LINUX]. If there is no IPv6
DNS entry they fall back to IPv4. I just don't see why a couple of
legacy services should hold-up beginning the roll-out of IPv6.

No, they shouldn't and they won't in our case. It was only to point out
that anything but a home user environment will very likely be
dual-stack, maybe for years to come, despite various operating system
having full IPv6 support.

APC SmartUPS

Hardly a deal breaker.

Nope.

And this type of gear is usually on its own vLAN anyway - the thought
of someone plugging a laptop into your network, getting a DHCP lease,
and then probing for your UPSs (which is easy) is disturbing.
I trust APCs stack about as far as I can toss the batteries.

haha, good one. I'm not worried about anyone hacking into a UPS, their
access and any visiting guests network use is very restricted.

Leased servers in external datacentre

Really? They don't even show an fe80::*

Of course, but that doesn't make them very useable for external IPv6
clients. Which is our main reason for doing IPv6.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.8°C)