Re: [opensuse] Partition filled up
  • From: Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 18:19:54 -0400
On Saturday 24 October 2009 04:27:02 Aaron Kulkis wrote:
.....<snipped my own stuff>,,,,,,

First, to all the others who kindly replied. Every user and root's trashbin
are empty. The separate partition /tmp has less than a GB in it. I have
everything cleaned out on boot. Bash tells me there is no such thing
as "sort. Dunno why...but,,,Oh well.... Thanks to all for your ideas.

Aaron,
Step 0: print out this email!!!!1!!111!!!one!!!eleven!!
OK
1. back-up your filesystems, with dd or tar or something.
OK

2. run the command mount (with no arguments)
3. Write the device names for your partitions
and what filesystem type each one is
(ext3, reiserfs, xfs, etc)
OK
or just send it to your printer with either
OK
mount | lp
or
mount | lpr

4. Reboot, and before it starts booting, tab down to the boot
options line, and put an S (single user mode) there.

(do NOT try to go to runlevel S from runlevel 3 or 5...
it will NOT do what we want...and since going to single
user mode logs off all non-root users anyways, you might
as well reboot)
OK

Reboot completed, you are now in runlevel S

5. cd /tmp (yes, even though the /tmp filesystem is
not mounted, the directory is still there,
because it's needed as a mount point.
Let's make sure that there aren't any files
in /tmp on the root filesystem that then
get hidden (and thus, not available to be
removed / recycled because your /tmp filesystem
is covering them up!)
6 ls -al /tmp.
If anything is listed other than . and ..
remove them
Lots of stuff. But I am afraid of removing it, Here is what's there:

Total 24
drwxrwxrwt 6 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 .
drwxr-xr-x 40 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 ..
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 .ICE-unix
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 .X11-unix
drwx-------- 2 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 kde-root
drwx-------- 3 root root 4096 Oct 24 2009 ksocket-root

Now !! Here is something strange ! After I finished this reply to you, I
re-booted to make sure what I had written was correct. The last two line of
the above were difffferent. They changed to this:

drwx-------- 2 bob users 4096 Oct 24 2009 kde-bob
drwx-------- 3 bob users 4096 Oct 24 2009 ksocket-bob

?????? How is that? From re-booting?
rm -rf /tmp/.* /tmp/*

Do I dare do that? I have faith in you...But....

Or, even more simply:
rm -rf /tmp ; mkdir /tmp; chmod 1777 /tmp

7. cd /sbin.

8. ls *fsck*; echo; ls *xfs*

Don't have xfs. Everything is ext3.

fsck = FileSystem consistency ChecK

For each filesystem, (/home, /tmp, and /)
fsck that filesystem

Did an fsck on all of the partitions on that drive from the "recue" system.
All clean.

example: fsck.ext3 /dev/sda3
# fsck's the ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda3

If any errors turn up, man fsck.ext3 (or whatever)
and look at the command line options. Start out
with minimal-effect options before resorting to
something like ("do all repairs without asking").

Bob S