Re: [opensuse] opensuse 11 versus SLE 11 WRT broadcom wireless
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Greg Freemyer wrote:

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

 while this is technically a question regarding SLES 11, i want to
clarify how the solution differs from what i've found for opensuse
11.

 i want to get wireless working on my laptop running SLES 11,
which has a broadcom BCM4318 chip (and NetworkManager installed).
 i've googled extensively and what i've noticed is that opensuse
seems to have a simple solution -- running the command
"/usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware", which appears to come as
part of the "bcm43xx-fwcutter" package.

 i was hoping it would be that simple for SLES 11, but all my
searching hasn't turned up anything similar.  am i just missing
the obvious?  is there nothing equivalently straightforward for
SLES 11?

rday

p.s.  there's a long, detailed explanation of installing the b43
driver in various distros here:

 http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

so i guess i could always do it slowly and painfully, but i'm
hoping for something simpler.  thanks.

Robert,

Did you come across the HCL for wireless in your searches:

<http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_%28Wireless%29>

Which will lead you to:

<http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_%28Wireless%29/Broadcom_BCM43xx>

It shows the 3 ways opensuse supports broadcom chipsets. Pick only one.

I don't know how it applies to SLES, but it is probably at least a
good starting point.

curiously, i didn't run across exactly those pages in my wanderings,
but it still seems that the explanation for opensuse is not easily
extended for SLES 11.

those packman firmware packages do look like they will unload
numerous .fw files under /lib/firmware/b43, which looks good -- that
provides the firmware files. but there is still a reference to the
package b43-fwcutter, which (allegedly) supplies the utility
/usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware, and eventually the b43 loadable
module. and i just don't see where to get that package for SLES 11.

i didn't think it was going to be this difficult. that's why i'm
thinking i'm really going to have to do this manually based on this:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

with downloading tarballs and so on.

rday