Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:42:57 -0400
Per Jessen wrote:
Rather than hijacking Robert Days thread, I thought I'd start a separate
one on the practicalities of IPv6:

Co-existence:
if someone were to go IPv6-only, how is access for IPv4-only clients
achieved? Ie. if I move to an IPv6-only network, how do IPv4-only
clients deal with it? Do I need to do anything?

Dual-stack on ADSL - is it possible to have IPv4 and IPv6 on the same
ADSL line? (ignoring whether or not a supplier would support it).

Hardware - does anyone want to recommend an ADSL router with IPv6
support? We've been using Zyxel for the last five years, and I've been
looking at Zyxels 662, but I've grown a little wary of Zyxel (support
in particular). A new router would require solid IPv6 support plus
SNMP and syslog ditto.

/Per

I don't recall the details and it's been quite a while since I read
about it, but there is an IPv6 address range that's reserved for mapping
directly to IPv4 addresses. ADSL in these parts is provided by running
PPPoE, that is Peer to Peer Protocol over Ethernet. PPP & Ethernet can
both handle whatever packets you throw at them, as they're level 2
protocols, so ADSL should have no problem, in theory, with handling
IPv6. Of course there's always the software within the ADSL modem and
DSLAM to worry about, as well as any routers beyond them. As I
mentioned earlier, tunneling can be used to bypass any IPv4 link.

BTW, there's some info on IPv6 on the Linux Documentation Project site.
http://tldp.org