Re: [opensuse] how many folks running suse 11 are heavily into IPv6?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 11:58:00 -0400
david feustel wrote:
Some OSes, (eg OpenBSD) run dual stacks handling both IP4 and IP6.
Linux does that too. I've experimented with IPv6 on OpenSUSE, but never
connected with it to anything outside of my local network. The support
for IPv6 has long been in the operating systems, even Windows supports
it, but in North America there's little demand for it. This compares
with Asia, where it's becoming common. However, I seem to recall a news
item recently, where the U.S. government will be demanding it. As for
those apps & servers, mentioned in another note, they'll eventually have
to update or die. The sooner they support IPv6, the better. The first
I heard of IPv6 was in an article in Byte magazine about 15 years ago.
As for interoperability, there are methods of crossing between the IPv4
& IPv6 worlds, in addition to dual stacks, including a range of IPv6
addresses that map directly to IPv4.