Re: [opensuse] Kmail debugging
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:16:33 +0200
On Tuesday 13 October 2009 06:57:48 Ciro Iriarte wrote:
2009/10/12 Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>:
On Sunday 11 October 2009 22:58:59 Ciro Iriarte wrote:
Anybody knows if it's possible to see IMAP messages or fetch process
in kmail?. I'm having issues with IMAP and Gmail, the account suddenly
stopped syncing and I assume a particular email is to blame because a
full resync doesn't help...

Regards,

You could look in ~/.xsession-errors for 'imap', or follow these
instructions to start kio_imap4 (the fetch process) in a shell so its
debug output is separate from the rest of the session, but I don't expect
you will see much using a standard release mode build of kdelibs, since
the debugging output is disabled. What KDE and openSUSE are you running?
I'll make some debug packages available in the OBS.

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/Debugging_IOSlave

Will

The debugging process doesn't seem to work, I don't get the PID of the
kio slave.

Either 1) you didn't kill any existing imap ioslaves, therefore the new
scheduler has no reason to start another slave in debug mode. Do "killall
kio_imap4" before restaring kdeinit

Or 2) you're using IMAP over SSL which is called 'imaps' at the kioslave
protocol level, so you need to use 'imaps' as the value of
KDE_SLAVE_DEBUG_WAIT.

What does "ps -ax | grep imap" show? For example, I see

16187 13189 0.0 0.8 244336 16300 ? S 10:31 0:00 kdeinit4:
kio_imap4 [kdeinit] imaps local:/tmp/ksocket-
wstephenson/klauncherMT6894.slave-socket local:/tmp/ksocket-
wstephenson/kmailDJ3508.slave-socket

Note the 'imaps' as the third argument in the command line.

If you can successfully attach gdb to the slave before it crashes, please get
a backtrace ('bt' in gdb) and make sure you have kdelibs3-debuginfo and
kdepim3-debuginfo installed, and I'll pass it on to the kmail maintainers.

HTH

Will