[opensuse] Configuring a 5 button (9 if including scrolling) mouse for X11
  • From: "Chris Lincoln" <chrislincoln03@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:40:31 -0500
I cannot configure my Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. What's odd is that all the special keys on the MS WL Keyboard work fine, but not on the mouse. I can't use the forward or back side buttons, and nor can I perform horizontal scrolling. All relevant information I have found does not work properly. For example, while running xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 8 9 4 5 6 7 10 11" in the terminal does actually bring functionality to the side buttons, it breaks scrolling and causes clicking both the left and right buttons at the same to function as copy + paste. Here's an image of the mouse if it helps: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NP3YP8HVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

How do I get this configured? I'm tired of constantly breaking functionality. And while this next part is only optional, I would also appreciate it if someone could give me a quick rundown on how exactly this works, so maybe if I change mice in the future, I won't have as much trouble.

Cheers.

~Chris