Re: [opensuse] Hostname is different from what I specified
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:15:38 -0500
On Tuesday 13 October 2009 12:00:26 Chris Lincoln wrote:
I very clearly specified the hostname during the setup to be Caesium;
However, for some unknown reason, OpenSUSE decided to use the hostname
Beryllium instead. The only place I know of where it could have gotten the
name from is my Windows 7 install, which has that hostname (Beryllium).
However, Windows 7 is on a different hard drive. Is there a way to correct
this? How could this have happened in the first place?

Where is the hostname "Beryllium" coming from? Perhaps is to from a PTR
lookup of your IP address? This could happen if your DHCP and DNS server
communicate, and the Windows DHCP client advertised a hostname but the
openSUSE DHCP client did not.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))