Re: [opensuse] NIC installation: What is this error?
  • From: David Bolt <bcrafhfr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:13:20 +0100
On Monday 12 October 2009 15:11:59 David Bolt wrote:
On Monday 12 October 2009 14:38:52 Roman B. wrote:

Hi all,

I found the RTL8168 UNIX/Linux driver vers.8.014.00 on the Realtek.com.tw
website. Read the readme file for install instructions.

That's the one I have downloaded, built, installed, configured but not
yet tested. With luck I'll be able to test it out under 11.1 this
evening to see if it actually works. At the same time, I'll try out
11.2 milestone 8 on the same system to see if it loads up the right
driver. I'm guessing that it'll load up the rt8169 module and that it
probably won't work, although it will be a nice surprise if it does.

Well, I was pleasantly surprised. Milestone 8 did indeed load up the
r8169 module, and it did work. Even more curious was that after
rebooting back into 11.1 I was able to get it working with the r8169
module. It did require using YaST to remove the network card and
reconfigure it completely, but it did start working properly
afterwards.

It is slightly puzzling as to why it didn't work before and, as for it
failing when used to do a network installation, my guess about that is
that either the DHCP request was possibly timing out, or the driver
took too long to configure the network card . At some point I'll have
to look and see if the DHCP server received the request and sent a
response,

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b | |