Re: [opensuse] Re: opeSUSE wiki needs editors
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:21:45 -0500
On Sunday 11 October 2009 13:44:27 Joachim Schrod wrote:
Rajko M. wrote:
If you have interest to create, edit and organize the openSUSE
documentation at http://en.opensuse.org we need you.

I don't have time to engage as part of a team -- but, if I would
like to contribute content to a single page: is that something that
one should coordinate with the Wiki Team, or should one simply do it?

Simply do it :-)

The Wiki Team should be able to help new contributors in article editing,
point to established rules how to choose title, in what category to include
article, what templates and already existing files are useful to create
article. I would call that openSUSE wiki infrastructure, and creation of that
should be in a Wiki Team focus, besides regular maintenance, like patrolling
wiki for spam and other similar unwanted content, new contributors that need
help, sorting contributions that are reusable, correcting spelling and grammar
errors, etc.

For people that are willing to create, and in case that topic is about
something that is changing with time, maintain document (wiki article),
standard wiki method is to use link Discussion at the top of the page.
It leads to page Talk:<article_name> and that is place to coordinate activity
for each article.

How about adding a new page: Do you have a review process?

No.
We rely on a fact that many editors create fine articles and that works on
Wikipedia. Problem is that we don't advertise clearly the same thing loud
enough, even not on the wiki. With lack of people that can patrol wiki 24/7,
chance that it will be opened for anonymous editing is very small.

Or, at the least, some place where one should announce one's plans? (If
possible, no IRC. ;-))

IMHO, for single pages there is no need to announce anything, but if someone
has great idea how to sort a lot of articles, that will help a lot of people
(or make their life miserable), that should be announced and discussed.

wiki on freenode.net. We don't have organized presence on
http://forums.opensuse.org and that is another problem to address.

The mailing list is fine for discussions that need opinion of larger number of
editors, but don't require fast response, the IRC channel is good for
interactive comments on edits, but don't require that everyone is notified.

E.g., I thought about updating the information about usage of the
JPackage repository (that's the largest RPM repository of Java
software), which is completely out of date.

While I never went very far with thoughts how to create grade system for
articles and consequently can't tell how bad is to have obsolete article in a
portfolio, it is for sure not that anyone wants, so it is very much wanted and
we all can appreciate your offer.

Joachim

--
Regards, Rajko