Re: [opensuse] Installing an NIC driver
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:26:46 -0500
On Friday 09 October 2009 02:51:19 am Stan Goodman wrote:
At 03:31:36 on Friday Friday 09 October 2009, "David C. Rankin"

<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 08 October 2009 02:59:21 am Stan Goodman wrote:
In preparing for installation of a driver for the Network Controller
of my Vostro 1510, I am having difficulty in locating the PCI ID for
the controller.

The controller is detected in Network Settings as: <RTL8111/8168B PC
Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller>. Searching the Hardware List for
likely terms, I find only one paragraph about "Network Controller",
which in fact does not describe the NIC at all, but details the
Wireless Card -- it gives the PCI ID as 14e4:4315, which I know for a
fact is the WiFi card.

It can't be that the NIC is not described in the Haardware List. I
have not been able to find where it is lurking.

I don't know if this will help, but 'lspci -vv' might disclose more
details.

I've done so. It's quite long, but if you want me to send it, I will.

It contains no mention of an Ethernet card, or the numbers 8168 oe 8169

Stan,

Your not going to believe this. I don't believe this. But... some cards
try
to show up as USB devices. Just because it isn't impossible that little green
men might fall from the sky... try and lsusb just for insanity's sake...

No, I don't know why and don't have a link, but I recall shaking my
head when
I read this somewhere.

It's either that, of you have the pci slot turned off in the bios or
the card
is just freaking DEAD :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.