Re: [opensuse] NIC installation: What is this error?
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 23:31:01 +0200
At 20:35:06 on Thursday Thursday 08 October 2009, "Ken Schneider -
openSUSE" <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
At 18:34:56 on Thursday Thursday 08 October 2009, "Ken Schneider -
openSUSE" <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That made the modules without errors. There are two warning messages
that I assume are expected, indicating that some facility is not
supported by the driver:

r8168_n.c.:526: warning: 'rtl8168_ocp_gphy_read' defined but not
used r8168_n.c.5292: warning: 'rtl8168_reinit_task' defined but not
used

The rest of the compilation finished, apparently in good order.
<lsmod | grep r8186> seems to have found the installed driver.

But <ifconfig -a>, according to the instructions, was expected to
include in its response a line about eth0, but there is no such thing
in its two paragraph, which seem otherwise to be in order.

Also worrying is that I now notice in Network Settings/Overview that
in the lower window the name of the Ethernet card is followed by "(no
hwinfo)"

I've configured the Network Settings in YaST.

In the network card settings under the hardware tab, which driver does
it show? If not the rtl8168 then change it to be so. After saving your
changes you might have to run (as root) rcnetwork restart. Past that if
you still have problems it will be beyond my help. Good luck.

The Harware tab in Network Devices > Network Settings > Overview > Edit
eluded me. Now I have seen that two fields were empty. The Device field,
when I clicked on Change, filled itself with eth0 automatically. The
Module Name field must be the one you suggested I fill with rtl8169; it
was empty, and I filled it. When I closed the window (Next > OK) and
opened again, both fields were again empty.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

--