Re: [opensuse] NIC installation: What is this error?
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 14:35:06 -0400
Stan Goodman pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
At 18:34:56 on Thursday Thursday 08 October 2009, "Ken Schneider -
openSUSE" <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That made the modules without errors. There are two warning messages that
I assume are expected, indicating that some facility is not supported by
the driver:

r8168_n.c.:526: warning: 'rtl8168_ocp_gphy_read' defined but not used
r8168_n.c.5292: warning: 'rtl8168_reinit_task' defined but not used

The rest of the compilation finished, apparently in good order. <lsmod |
grep r8186> seems to have found the installed driver.

But <ifconfig -a>, according to the instructions, was expected to include
in its response a line about eth0, but there is no such thing in its two
paragraph, which seem otherwise to be in order.

Also worrying is that I now notice in Network Settings/Overview that in
the lower window the name of the Ethernet card is followed by "(no
hwinfo)"

I've configured the Network Settings in YaST.

In the network card settings under the hardware tab, which driver does
it show? If not the rtl8168 then change it to be so. After saving your
changes you might have to run (as root) rcnetwork restart. Past that if
you still have problems it will be beyond my help. Good luck.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998