Re: [opensuse] Windows 98SE can't access Samba openSUSE 11.1
On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 00:18 +0200, Paul Neuwirth wrote:
On Oct 7 2009 16:57, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 16:57:15 -0400
From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Windows 98SE can't access Samba openSUSE 11.
since I updated from openSUSE 10.3 to 11.1 I cannot acces my samba
shares with Windows 98 SE anymore. Windows NT based Systems work as
before. Windows prompts for a password, but the valid smb password is
rejected. enabling/disabling plain passwords or encrypted passwords on
both sides doesn't change anything. No log entries in
samba's
logfiles. Using samba-3.2.7-11.3.2.
Older auth mechs (such as LANMAN) are disabled in recent versions of
Samba [and recent versions of Windows for that matter]. You need to
enable the appropriate legacy auth mech in smb.conf explicitly.
Possibly "lanman auth = yes" will do it.
It's weired... I tried some different settings, with following results:
letting Windows send encrypted passwords, encrypted passwords enabled in
smb.conf (with ntlm auth/lanman auth or only one of both...) leads to
the mentioned error. disabling encrypted passwords in smb.conf makes
windows say "invalid parameter" on connecting. turning password
encryption off on both sides, it works!

Encrypted passwords should certainly work with Windows 98. I assume you
have a SAM setup so that encrypted passwords can work - tdbsam, ldap,
etc...

but i think with having password encryption disabled the windows NT
style clients won't have acces anymore.

Correct.

Before the update the crypted way worked...
I also increased the verbosity of the logs, some interesting lines could
be:
check_ntlm_password: sam authentication for user [XYZ] FAILED with
error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [XYZ] -> [XYZ]
FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
the user is previously recognized.

Is this debug level 10?