Re: [opensuse] Toning Down KDE 4's Graphics for LTSP Desktop
  • From: phanisvara das <phani00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 04:40:12 +0530
On Thursday 08 October 2009 04:02:41 am David C. Rankin wrote:
I'd be willing to wager that everything P4 2.0GHz or Athlon XP2400
and earlier will struggle with KDE4. What will the alternative be?

iceWM, FluxBox, openBox, LXDE (openbox clone), TWM, etc. are all
lightweight but 'toy' desktops compared to kde3. I'm not sure Gnome
is
much lighter. What will the viable option for older hardware be from
KDE?

before i upgraded my hardware, my computer was below the spec's you
mentioned above. it's true that KDE 4 didn't run satisfactory, so i was
using fluxbox with KDE applications. (KDE 4 mainly; i used only
konqueror from KDE 3, since fish:// wasn't working at the time.)

i found the fluxbox DE quite flexible, and the KDE 4 app's and their
overhead didn't slow me down much. altogether not a bad experience.

(i've read somewhere about "KDE light" being developed by someone,
not connected to the KDE team; can't find anything about this now...)

--
phani.