Re: [opensuse] Windows 98SE can't access Samba openSUSE 11.1
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 17:52:59 -0500
On Wednesday 07 October 2009 05:18:08 pm Paul Neuwirth wrote:
Possibly "lanman auth = yes" will do it.

It's weired... I tried some different settings, with following results:
letting Windows send encrypted passwords, encrypted passwords enabled in
smb.conf (with ntlm auth/lanman auth or only one of both...) leads to
the mentioned error. disabling encrypted passwords in smb.conf makes
windows say "invalid parameter" on connecting. turning password
encryption off on both sides, it works! but i think with having password
encryption disabled the windows NT style clients won't have acces
anymore. Before the update the crypted way worked...
I also increased the verbosity of the logs, some interesting lines could
be:
check_ntlm_password: sam authentication for user [XYZ] FAILED with
error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [XYZ] -> [XYZ]
FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
the user is previously recognized.

Adam hit the nail on the head. The lanman auth parameter is what you need. You
will also want to upgrade samba. There were a few releases that had bugs with
that setting after it was disabled by default.

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network:/samba:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.1/

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC