[opensuse] Toning Down KDE 4's Graphics for LTSP Desktop
  • From: Anthony Simonelli <asimonelli01@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:12:12 -0500
I happen to be a big fan of the KDE 4 series and KDE 4.3 is the best
yet. I'm running an LTSP setup using an old Ubuntu 7.10 LTSP setup at
a small company with about 6 constant users. They do simple things
like browse the Internet, check email, and created/edit documents off
the LAN using OpenOffice.org. However, since this version of Linux is
unsupported and a bit behind, I want to move away from Ubuntu/GNOME
and use openSUSE/KDE.

The problem is that I have very low-end thin clients (400Mhz VIA
processor, 32MB RAM, VIA graphics with shared memory, etc.) and it
makes it a challenge to do so. Believe it or not, KDE 4 seems to out
perform GNOME as far as responsiveness (started out trying GNOME and
switched to KDE) and is certainly usable. My thin client has frozen
up a couple of times when using Firefox, OpenOffice.org, etc.
together, but changing the color depth to 16 seems to have helped.

My question is, are there additional things I can do to KDE to help
save some RAM on the thin clients? Is there a way to tweak KDE to use
simpler graphics such as turning off the glow when hovering over
folders, or using wire-frame outlines when dragging windows; sort of
like "reduced resources" in GNOME's GConf?

Anthony