Re: [opensuse] Panel bar problem in 11.1 install
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 01:40:45 -0500
On Sunday 04 October 2009 05:28:08 pm Jim Sabatke wrote:
phanisvara das wrote:
On Sunday 04 October 2009 08:01:29 pm Jim Sabatke wrote:
have no clue where the screen is that allows selection of the window
manager. I have KDE3, KDE4 and gnome loaded on my home computer and see
no way to select one; it certainly isn't on the login screen

when i was running 11.1, i could select from the login screen which
windows manager to use--only if they were properly installed, of course.
don't have 11.1 running right now so can't provide a screenshot, but
there's a popup menu on the left side of the screen, a little below the
middle, which defaults to the last used windows manager, but allows you
to choose from all the others available on the system. if that isn't the
case in your installation, are you sure the additional WMs are installed,
not just a couple libraries to support some program?

I did install KDE3. Does anything else have to be installed?

Jim

Jim,

I think you are being bitten by the "which kdm is the right kdm?"
problem.
What is the output of:

which kdm

If the answer is "/opt/kde3/bin/kdm" then you should be fine. If it is
something else, then you need to visit the sysconfig editor in yast. I haven't
had this problem with suse, but I did have this problem with arch. Basically
if you default to the kde4 kdm to start, then it will not show you anything
about your kde3 install, but if you default to your kde3 kdm it will show both
kde3 and kde4. (I may not be using the right terminology, but you get the
drift)

Start yast sysconfig editor and look at Desktop -> Display manager ->
DISPLAYMANAGER and make sure it is set to 'kdm3' without quotes.

Then look at Desktop -> Window manager -> DEFAULT_WM and make sure it
is set
to 'startkde3' without quotes.

Then when you restart the desktop (rckdm, or drop to runlevel3 then
back to
rl5 or reboot) you should be OK. I guess since you apparently had kde4 first,
it is still using the kde4 DM and WM defaults which apparently will not show
kde3. Like I said, I haven't had these problems with suse, but with Archlinux,
when I upgraded to kde4 there, I did have this happen.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC