Re: [opensuse] Installing wireless on Dell Vostro
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 16:50:05 +0200
At 16:21:34 on Tuesday Tuesday 06 October 2009, Matthias Titeux
<matthias.titeux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As a matter of good citizenship, I should probably mention that the
Broadcom bcm4322 wireless card, which is built in to the Vostro 15
notebook machine does not appear in the list of cards supported by
the NDISWrapper either, a remarkable fact for a machine intended to
be loaded with Linux.

At this point, I think the simplest way to gain wireless capability
would be to buy an external USB wireless dongle, a supported one, of
course (the machine hasn't support for PCMCIA cards).

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Another possibility is (If you can open the case) to change the
miniPCIe wifi card by a supported model. They are pretty cheap on ebay.
People who wanted a small Hackintosh used to do that on some netbook
with wifi card not supported by Mac OS X.
if possible, it will be a more convenient way to have wifi than a USB
dongle.

Hope it helps.

That's an idea all right, but it won't help with the time problem. It's
worth looking into for afterward. Although I hadn't thought of ebay, the
idea of replacing the card had crossed my mind; I didn't know if the WiFi
card was actually a replaceable element, or if it was just some circuitry
on the motherboard, thanks for telling me that.

Given the distance (in time-space), it might be an equally good idea to
buy a supported card new, if I can find out whether it is available here
and who imports them -- if anybosy.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on