Re: [opensuse] Installing wireless on Dell Vostro
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:03:50 +0200
At 00:13:10 on Monday Monday 05 October 2009, Felix Miata
<mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2009/10/04 23:53 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:
I am now trying to install the internal wireless card in my Vostro
notebook machine....

He could have given a better clue about finding YMP.

how can I find it?

http://software.opensuse.org/search

The 1-click install links in the results there end in .ymp. Those links
figure out if added repositories are needed, adds them if necessary,
then downloads and installs.

It turns out that all this may be in vain at present. On the page of Linux
Wireless [http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43] I learn that the
number of my chip is essentially meaning less, and that one has to find
the REAL number by running:

:~> lspci -vnn | grep 14e4

which yields a number (4315), which is in turn to be sought in a table. In
my case, the relevant line of the table is

PCI-ID State Chip
14e4:4315 in progress BCM4312 802.11b/g - low power

This is the only PCI-ID chip that is "in progress"; others are either
supportd or marked "?". But the upshot is, if I understand what is meant
by the "State" of the driver, that my chip is not supported at present,
but that may or may not change in the indeterminate future. By machine,
which I bought for use in a WeFi environment, is useless for that
purpose. I don't think I have any room for complaint as far as the sale
is concerned.

Yes, I am pissed off. On the bright side, I'm sure glad I found this out
now, and not after the frustration of doing everything right and still
not being able to get wireless operation working.

But thanks anyway.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on