Re: [opensuse] Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 00:00:57 +0200
At 22:30:45 on Saturday Saturday 03 October 2009, "Carlos E. R."
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday, 2009-10-03 at 20:45 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:
At 18:46:58 on Saturday Saturday 03 October 2009, Felix Miata <>
wrote:
On 2009/10/03 10:25 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:
The DFSee display now looks exactly as it should. Unfotunately, the
system doesn't boot. Instead of Boot Manager, I see a persistent
black screen.

The usual DFSee display doesn't show the MBR code. You must ask for
it explicitly. Ctrl-B will do that if done immediately after
starting

Thank you for this material.

Ctrl-B brought up the relevant page. Unfortunately, new computers
have narrow screens vertically, so I can see only from 000D0 down,
well after the boot code. Beginning at 00FA, however, there is a
remark: "Bad part-tables!", then "Error loading OS" and "OpSys not
found!". No great surprise that it doesn't boot. =;-/8

Nonononono.

Those are the messages that the "booter" can print if there is a
problem, a different short message for each problem the designer
considered. It does not mean at all that you have (or not) any of those
problems.

This would be the method to do that in linux - in my case, the mbr
contains grub specific code:

# dd if=/dev/hda of=mbr count=512 bs=1
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
512 bytes (512 B) copied, 0.00280838 s, 182 kB/s

# hexdump -C mbr
00000180 fe 47 52 55 42 20 00 47 65 6f 6d 00 48 61 72 64 |.GRUB
.Geom.Hard| 00000190 20 44 69 73 6b 00 52 65 61 64 00 20 45 72 72 6f
| Disk.Read. Erro|

What I did in my ignorance was to follow the lead of DFSee. Given that the
partition table was missing, I asked DFSee to check the actual
partitions. It did this in six monutes flat, and made a file for the data
it collected. I thought to use these data tomorrow to fill in the blanks
in the partition editor, and make a fresh MBR.

When I rebooted (for no good reason), I found that all that had been done
for me, and that the machine booted to the Boot manager, which passed
things on to GRUB, and presented me with a running openSuSE. I could not
be more pleased -- also because I have learned a good bit during all
this, especially about the machine and about features of DFSee. that I
never had to use before.

I am extremely grateful to those here who have had the patience (which
could not always have been easy) to help me, expecially Felix,
Jean-Daniel, Per, yourself, and anybody I left out.

This is a good group.

If anybody thinks, by the way, that I exaggerated in my annoyance with the
touchpad, I invite them to google <vostro touchpad disable>. The device
is a disaster.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on