Re: [opensuse] Re: Coordinated, distributed ssh attacks?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 19:00:52 +0200
Heinz Diehl wrote:

On 03.10.2009, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

You can't actually proceed ;-) this is an issue with any network
service on planet earth, but you can protect yourself of being
cracked by only using public key authentication.

That's how I do it. Maybe I don't get the point, but after reading
this whole thread I wonder why folks bother. Don't allow password
login, or choose a strong one, and nothing more to it..

The one issue I have with using ssh public keys is that the client setup
seems to get tied to somebodys home-directory. Has anyone worked out a
solution where the keys and such are kept on a USB stick (encrypted
filesystem perhaps) such that an individual can carry it from place to
place with minimal effort? We occasionally have people working from
places where 1) their home-directory is not available or 2) is not
trusted at all.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.3°C)