[opensuse] Re: reverse DNS (was: Can use the incoming mailserver but not the outgoing mailserver.)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 08:54:28 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Friday, 2009-10-02 at 12:10 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Both I suppose - after all, people get away with running mailservers
on
IP-addresses without proper reverse mapping for years and years. I
_do_ think each and every mailserver _should_ have a proper reverse
mapping set up, but just as with the requirement for HELO to match
the hostname, only a few fools enforce it and refuse to accept mails
from such a poorly configured mailserver.

In my country, it is really difficult to get reverse dns to work. You
must be BIG to get it. Or have some "friends" or inside contacts.
At least, it has been so for many years. Maybe things change... dunno.

I'm surprised that anyone who provides static IPs would not know how to
(or not want to) add a record to the reverse zone file.

So far I have only come across one Swiss provider which refuses to set
up reverse DNS for single static IPs - they require you to have a/29
network for which they charge more than for a single static IP. I
think it's a highly questionable business practice, although not
illegal or unethical as such.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.3°C)