[opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: "<jdd-gmane>" <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 08:26:12 +0200
I want to make something clear.

partitionning and creating file systems are two completely different
things and IMHO should be setup at a different moment (not to speak
about boot manager, that are a third thing).

Usually, I choose partitions on a computer with care and never change
them after that. However when I change for a new distro, I change file
system. I changed from reiser to ext3 and probably will change from
ext3 to ext4.

I even often change a big partition in two smaller (to accomodate more
OS).

I use fdisk for this.

Doing so, I minimize the hazard risk. using only fdisk, that do not
touch the file system, I change very little bits on the disk, so if
ever I make a mistake I can change mind.

After that, of course I have to use mkfs to build the file system if
necessary at all

notice also that fdisk do *not* wrote anything to the disk as long as
you don't hit "w", when parted, for example, write the table
immediately, making errors more destructive

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org