Re: [opensuse] Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 21:28:22 -0400
On 2009/10/02 23:05 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:

Now the installation is finished, and I can see what it did to the
partitioniing etc.

The order of partitions according to ID number (not ux) is as follows:

1) Primary: Boot Manager
2) Logical: sda5 (LinuxV1 - Swapspace2)
3) Logical: sda6 (/) (GRUB)
4) Logical: sda7 (/home)

Right. The DFSee ux column nr matches the number appended to sda.

All the above have the sizes I requested.

5) Primary: sda3 (LinuxxT1 - Swap)
6) Primary: sda4 (Unknown)

What type filesystem is on sda4? What type byte Does DFSee show in column 3
of its part tabling, 8e (Linux LVM)? If the installation program put / on
sda6, why did it create sda4?

Altogether, accounting for the entire disk.

Sounds like may be a gross overutilization that will have to be discarded
later, depending on how many distros you'd like to be able to have on the
250G disk. I've put more than 10 at a time on a disk half that size, and
would be satisfied with no less than 3 in your situation: 1-initial,
ultimately becoming a maintenance version; 2-next version upgrade; 3-room for
trying installation of something else altogether. I'd go back to where you
started but switch installation path to the one that obeys what you chose to
do in DFSee, using what you created for it rather than adding malorganized
redundance.

I do not know the meaning of T1 and V1 for the two swaps.

I'm sure it's something irrelvant that Jan can answer.

Here is the fdisk listing:

Device Boot Start End ID System
/dev/sda1 1 1 -- a OS/2 Boot Manager
/dev/sda2 2 8204 -- 5 Extended
/dev/sda3 8205 8466 -- 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4 8467 30401 -- 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 2 271 -- 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 272 2963 -- 82 Linux
/dev/sda7 2964 8204 -- 83 Linux

So the 'fictitious' particians are real, and overlap the ones I made. I
will try to delete tham, but don't know what effect that will have on
the 'real ones'. A real snakes nest.

They aren't fiction. They are the proposal converted to reality. And, there's
no overlapping beyond the fact that primaries are physically straddling the
extended.

Some other things have happened:

The Boot Manager, which I carefully made Active, is no longer so. No
partition is Active, so booting will be impossible. I think I can fix
that by deleting the Boot Manager and making a new one, which will give
me the option of making it Active.

You shouldn't have to do anything but 'startable 1' from a DFSee command
prompt, or choose 'Make THIS partition Active' from DFSee's Mode= menu after
first selecting the BM partition to work with.

It won't surprise me a lot if after doing this you wind up being unable to
boot Linux except from the DVD, but if the installer did put Grub on /
correctly, and not on the MBR, no fix should be required if you've added it
to BM's menu.

None of the partitions is Bootable, although I know that I had set sda6 as
Bootable.

In the context of boot loaders/boot managers, bootable/startable/active are
all ways to say the same thing: the selected partition's first table entry
byte is set to 80h, which has a special meaning to standard MBR code, and is
prominent on examination of DFSee's dump of the MBR table. When set on a
logical partition (e.g. sda6) it has no standard meaning.

DFSee gives another warning as well warning: The extended partition is
marked as Bootable.

That's what a Linux installer will sometimes do when given no native primary
to provide a home for its native boot loader. Had you specified during
installation for where to locate the boot loader only on the / partition, I
don't think it should have done that. For anything at all to boot from an
active-marked extended I believe requires non-standard boot code in the MBR.
To find out you might want to compare a DFSee boot sector dump on your new
laptop to one from your desktop, assuming your desktop is still booting from
IBM BM and its MBR contains either OS/2 or more generic MBR code.

There is no way I could do that, even if I wanted to,
but I have fixed it with DFSee -- truly the Swiss Knife of utilities!!

I'm fairly sure DFSee would not permit to directly mark the extended, as it
does not show an id you can select to act (set active) upon. You could though
by direct editing of the MBR table to move the active flag (80h byte) from
line 2 to line 1.

Never have I had such a daunting installation experience. And the only new
element (thus probable culprit) in it was the Dell.

I think there are probably things from installing long ago you've forgotten,
while the awful touchpad was magnifying your frustration. Don't you have an
extra standard keyboard and mouse you can plug into the laptop until you get
finished with setup?
--
" A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God. . . .

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/