[opensuse] Re: Windows (NTFS) file defragmenter from Linux
  • From: Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:40:08 -0700
Jay Mistry wrote:
I would like to defragment my Windows C:/ drive (main system drive,
NTFS-formatted) from within Linux so as to enable moving/defragging
in-use & system files as well. Is there a method/ utility that will
enable me to do this ?
---
I can't say from personal experience, but they *should* be
renumbered, as the kernel starts numbering from whence it found them.

I think you may be able to override the numbering via special
changes in 'udev', (at least you can with 'ethX').
However, if you label your partitions (use XFS, or another file format that supports labels), then you can mount by label
and when the devices are renumbered, it won't matter.

I assume (?) that none of them are 'boot disks' (is that
even possible these days?)...

Note -- down deep, grub seems to use serial numbers or something
weird. I ran into this when I moved my disk image to a new server and
it wouldn't boot because the serial-id path was different. I just put
in for it to boot from /dev/sdaX and all was fine...damn newfangled
boot mechanisms that are supposed to protect me from changing disks...
What about changing machines!?! :-)

-l