Re: [opensuse] Can use the incoming mailserver but not the outgoing mailserver.
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 23:24:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2009-10-02 at 12:10 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

There are some requirements for "real" mailserver:
- fixed ip address
- matching hostname and reverse lookup for that hostname

(cough) ... wouldn't that be nice, but it's not exactly a hard
requirement.

Grin! Do you mean "it's not a difficult requirement" or do you mean
"it is not a really necessary requirement"?

Both I suppose - after all, people get away with running mailservers on
IP-addresses without proper reverse mapping for years and years. I
_do_ think each and every mailserver _should_ have a proper reverse
mapping set up, but just as with the requirement for HELO to match the
hostname, only a few fools enforce it and refuse to accept mails from
such a poorly configured mailserver.

In my country, it is really difficult to get reverse dns to work. You must be BIG to get it. Or have some "friends" or inside contacts.

At least, it has been so for many years. Maybe things change... dunno.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.