Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 19:54:26 +0200
At 19:08:33 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, "<jdd-gmane>"
<jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman a écrit :
Explained in a previous message. You are cnnfusing "Boot Manager"
and "Boot Loader".

we desagreee. Grub and lilo can perfectly boot any OS on you disk and
don't need any special partition. You can also boot linux from windows
(it's enough to point to the kernel, details are irrelevant now)

I will install another OS at a later time.

where/how? you can't make more than two more partition, the two
remaining primaries.

So far, the only primary on the system is the Boot Manager, all the rest
are logical. If I install other OS(s), its/their partitions will also be
logical.

To do what you want, you should give the extended *all the disk*, so
then you can create nearly any number of partitions to accomodate any
number of operating systems. primary partition can be only 4 (extended
included).

I did not set the size of the extended partition explictly. Once the Boot
Manager primary partition was made, I simply continued to add successive
logical partitions one after another. Evidently DFSee knows how to expand
the extended partition accordingly. With each additional partition, by
the way, I also have the option of choosing to place the new partition at
the start or the end of the free space. If there are several free
spaces, I also get to choose which one. Apparently DFSee is quite
versatile.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think I have a second
extended partition, and I don't see any sda3 or sda4 in the fdisk
table I sent you. They are fictions. The question of sharing Swap
doesn't arrive now; it will when I install additional OS(s).

didn't you quote YaST installer, with 160Go partitions? it's there
that sda3 and 4 could have been used

But I have already showed that there are no sda3 or sda4. They are
figments of a diseased BIOS (if not of the installer, which I doubt).
They don't exist. You saw the fdisk table.

I also don't see that the installer tried to use the free space. The
free space is at the end of the disk, whereas it has deluded itself
into finding it near the beginning.

doesn't matter. As long as the free space is contiguous, it can be
anywhere on the disk

Good guess for YaST

That goes over my head. Would you please explain it?

You quoted the YaST installer. It found the free space and made a
proposal accordingly, leaving the previous partitions untouched

Are you saying that the installer wants to put sda6 and sda7 near the
beginning of the disk, and only later its fictitious sda3 and sda4? I am
getting dizzy again.

Right now, I am about to try to install on sda6 and sda7. We will see how
that turns out. Whether it works or not, I am going to have a long
corresondence with Dell about the BIOS, which I think is truly crapped
up.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on