Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 18:22:00 +0200
At 17:35:10 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, Per Jessen
<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
Regarding the list of Available Storage, I have added up the sizes of
the real and fictitious partitions, and find that the total is
305.49GB. The HD that came with the machine is nominally 250GB; Even
the Available Storage list says it is 232.89GB, so this is a real
break through in cheap ways to get extra storage.

Assuming you've got your numbers right, I would also call it a bug in
the partitioner.

Nice to be vindicated. Also DFSee.

The phenomenon has never occured here, in previous installations I have
made. It appears not to have occured anywhere else either, else people
here would have an inkling of it. So if it is an installer bug, it must
also be dependent on this machine, which is said to be essentially an
Inspiron 1500, i.e. a mass-marketed machine that is widely sold and
widely used.

But not all Inspirons are bought to receive Linux systems, and ceertainly
not this particular distro. Most live and die as Windows machines, so
such a bug might never show up.

I suppose the next step has to be to ignore the fictitious partitions (and
the fact that the installer thinks the real ones begin at the end of the
disk and continue into limbo, and chose the partitions by number,
regardless of where they are claimed to be.

This machine has yet another problem, by the way. When I set up the
partitions and wanted to set sizes for them, the "0" key produced "?"
instead, so I let sizes like e.g. 41111. When I wanted to set names for
them, many of the alphabetical keys produced numbers instead. The BIOS is
screwed up.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on