Re: [opensuse] Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:55:32 -0400
On 2009/10/02 15:21 (GMT+0200) jdd composed:

it's not possible to install wibdows on a logical partition, only on
primary one.

I thought you were smarter than that. Just like I usually install Linux to a
logical (IOW rarely to a primary) I never "install" Windows to a primary.
http://fm.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html shows a small disk partitioned
with both Windows and Linux booting from primaries but "installed" to logicals.

Windows is little different from Linux in that its boot files can live on a
partition separate from OS files. A (small) C: primary to Windows directly
corresponds to a (small) /boot on a primary in Linux.

Someday just for kicks if nothing else, boot a W2K or WinXP installation CD
with a HD that has several empty and non-empty partitions on it of both
native and non-native partition types and watch it ask you to select a
partition to install to. If "C:" is too small it won't even allow you to
select it.
--
" A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God. . . .

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/