Re: [opensuse] Can use the incoming mailserver but not the outgoing mailserver.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 12:10:03 +0200
Sandy Drobic wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Sandy Drobic wrote:

There are some requirements for "real" mailserver:
- fixed ip address
- matching hostname and reverse lookup for that hostname

(cough) ... wouldn't that be nice, but it's not exactly a hard
requirement.

Grin! Do you mean "it's not a difficult requirement" or do you mean
"it is not a really necessary requirement"?

Both I suppose - after all, people get away with running mailservers on
IP-addresses without proper reverse mapping for years and years. I
_do_ think each and every mailserver _should_ have a proper reverse
mapping set up, but just as with the requirement for HELO to match the
hostname, only a few fools enforce it and refuse to accept mails from
such a poorly configured mailserver.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.0°C)