Re: [opensuse] Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 02:13:14 +0200
At 00:48:07 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, Felix Miata
<mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2009/10/02 00:15 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:
....[laptop] arrived with Ubuntu installed....

When the machine arrived, there there was
besides Ubuntu (in a single primary partition), also a primary
partition containing Dell utilities. The latter was at the beginning
of the HD.

It's a shame you can't remember the info probably most in this thread
would like to know. You didn't by any chance save a dfsee.log from your
first session, did you?

If we want to know the names of the files that were in the Dell Utilities
partition, that is probably no problem. The machine came with a CD of Ell
utilities, and I can look.

I won't do that now (it's going on 0200 and I ought to get to bed). I'll
have a look sometime tomorow; tune in in the PM yourtime.

You say primary, but that's of little import. The bigger question is
what types those two partitions were. Installing Linux to a single
partition with no separate partition even for swap is unusual.

No swap is unusual. I would not be able to swear that there was no swap
partition. I didn't linger very long on the preloaded content of the
disk.

More expected of a mere two primary partition Linux system of which one
is a vendor utility partition is that the other of them would be either
a type 05h, or, of greater interest, either a type EEh (GPT, containing
other partitions) or a type 8E (Linux LVM, containing other
partitions). DFSee won't yet show the existence of (or anything else
about) partitions contained within EEh or 8Eh partitions.

Felix, I had planned anyway to wipe the disk clean altogether, per your
suggestion. "Altogether" so I am sure I've got everything that ought to
go. Then I'll do a new installation and report.

I may not do this over the weekend, but only Sunday (which is a weekday
here), because I want to first disable the Abominable Touch Pad, which is
a royal pain (erratic in operation and placed optimally for inadvertant
cursor movement). The word on the Web is that the only way to do this on
this machine is to disconnect it physically.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on