RE: [opensuse] ipconfrig--where?
On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 10:05 +1300, Philip Dowie wrote:
On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 22:23 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 01 October 2009 22:10:54 Mike McMullin wrote:
Nifty, however in piston driven automobiles, there still exists the
crankshaft, the hand crank was replaced by an electric crank (Starter
motor?). ;)
Exactly my point. HOW DARE THEY!!!"§!"§!"!!!!!!!
Don't they realize that IF MY BATTERY DIES I WON'T BE ABLE TO START MY CAR
Only true if you have an automatic transmission, you can actually push
start a manual, automatic as well, but not by hand, unlike the manual.
how fast do you gotta get an automatic before you can push start it?

And if your battery is really dead and you have electronic ignition and
computer controlled fuel injection... good luck push starting that
thing, automatic or manual. Or if it is a hybrid...

Also - as someone who owns a crank start car - crank starting a modern
high-compression engine, assuming you physically could crank it, would
probably qualify as a suicide attempt.

So it is a pretty good metaphor; new techniques and technologies
sometimes really do mean the old ones should go away [doesn't mean some
masochist can't still emulate them].