Re: [opensuse] ipconfrig--where?
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:58:13 +0200
On Thursday 01 October 2009 22:45:01 Mike McMullin wrote:
Don't they realize that IF MY BATTERY DIES I WON'T BE ABLE TO START MY
CAR

Only true if you have an automatic transmission, you can actually push
start a manual, automatic as well, but not by hand, unlike the manual.

..not push start by hand....what do you push with then?

Because they liked "New Coke"?

New coke was marketing, not engineering. Coke itself was engineering, when
they wanted the same taste but without the cocaine

Which is to say, not all change actually makes sense, or dollars in that
case.

How about understanding my point: functionality improves, and sometimes it's
worth throwing out the old way of doing things

In the case of ifconfig/ip, the comment about inexperienced users just makes
me laugh. Those users don't use command lines at all, so it's just a non-
argument. In fact, linux frequently gets made fun of by users of MS and Apple
for forcing people to use the command line (which of course is not true -
there are GUI applications that present the exact same info)

The semi-experienced people who do at times use the command line, well, they
will have to learn something new. It happens from time to time, it's not the
first time and it won't be the last.

The experienced people appreciate ip, because it allows them to do much more.

Anders