Re: [opensuse] ipconfrig--where?
  • From: kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 07:59:32 -1000
On Wednesday 30 September 2009 09:36:49 pm Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 01 October 2009 09:25:03 kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
why can't a *replacement* come out with *all* of the old features AND
ONLY AFTER THAT add whatever new whatchamacallit the developer wants?

in real world engineering this is a given.

Ah yes, that's why on all new cars you always have the option to start them
with a hand crank - after all, that was a feature that was ubiquitous in
older cars, and in real world engineering, features are never dropped

my '74 850 Norton Commando and my '67 750 G15 both have a kickstarter *only*.
(ok, not exactly a hand crank, but close enough:)) Yes, they are dinosaurs,
but they still go around cornrers better than 95% of the bikes on the road. I
do hope it does not take 40+ years for 5% of the software to surpass
the "hand cranked" versions first punched on paper tape...

why do coders (or whoever pushes forth *new* crap) think this is
immaterial?

What is it you can do in ifconfig that you can't do in ip? As far as I can
see, ip has all the features of ifconfig, and quite a bit more.

I think you're ranting against the wrong software here

Anders

I do admit it is a bit of a rant, but *not* at ip. my comments were a
response to a general complaint about resistance to "new" software. And I
*do* maintain that too much of new software considers too many features of
existing software as handcranks, drops them and comes out incomplete.
Let's take ip for example. I would hazard a guess that only about a third of
the readers of this forum can write a script in a couple of minutes to add
the missing functionality as compared to the ifconfig output . I put myself
on the other third, the one where the script would take a number of false
starts and a couple of days to complete. And finally there is the third that
has not a clue about scripts...linucs has evolved....
In this case it would take very little effort from one of the gurus to make
the grumpy third or two thirds smile if ip outputs at least the same info as
ifconfig on a simple call. Probably it would take less time than arguing
about it.
d.