Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 18:47:50 +0200
At 16:54:36 on Thursday Thursday 01 October 2009, Greg Freemyer
<greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
At 14:23:39 on Thursday Thursday 01 October 2009, Per Jessen

<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
as somebody else said, why don't you use YaST installer to do
the partitionning?

Among other reasons, because I want to know why the installer has
retained partition information that isn't there anymore, and
where it is storing obsolete information.

Partition information is stored in the partition tables.  When the
partitioner finds your old partition scheme it's because it is
still stored there.

I don't know dfsee either, I always use fdisk - what does fdisk
says when you print the partition table?

I know that the partition tables store the partition scheme. But if
I see a certain arrangement, that must be what the partition table
is storing.

Exactly.

I think, in fact, that HDs have two copies of the partition table.

Yes, it does.

Are you guys sure about that? Is that a unique Linux thing? Where is
the second copy?

It is not a special Linux thing. I don't know where it is or how to use
it, but I hope I will soon.

The MBR (master boot record) (which includes the partition table) is
normally marked by having AA55 as the last 2 bytes of the sector.
That is also used for BR (Boot Records) (which do not have a copy of
the partition table). Some filesystems (ie NTFS) have redundant
copies of the BR at the end of the partition, but I'm not familiar
with redundant copies of the MBR.

note: I assume at this point that yast is keeping a redundant set of
partition info somewhere, but I doubt it is in a raw sector which is
how I am interpreting the above reference to a second copy.

Greg

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on